SqABQ2vaBiRwOmiKY86G4RLCZRM

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Low Carb Crustless Quiche and Living a Low Carb Lifestyle




My husband and I had a long talk Saturday morning, and decided that it was time. It was time to make some changes. We both have been quite inactive (although recently I started back into yoga and playing volleyball once a week) since winter hit. It has just been hard to do anything. And we have not been eating healthy. Given the fact that I have PCOS, I have to - HAVE TO - follow a lower carb lifestyle, which I have not been doing. When you have PCOS, your body is unable to metabolize carbohydrates like a normal person can. I lost 27 pounds this summer, by walking 4-6 miles 3-4 times a week, cutting my carbs down, and getting back on my birth control (which helps me lose weight) but once winter hit and I could not walk outside, and got back off my birth control, things stood still. Eating a low carb lifestyle is hard. Very hard. Especially when in the definition of PCOS, it actually states that you have uncontrollable cravings for carbs. Great. It's already challenging enough without adding "uncontrollable cravings". But changes must be made. I want to be active and healthy parents (once we have children). We want to be good role models to our children. So changes must be made.

We both agreed that following the low carb lifestyle would be best, since I don't have a choice, and that having my husband follow a different lifestyle could be very trying to me with the fact that I would have to cook two different meals. We can work carbs back into his diet at a later point, little by little, but for now, this is what's best. I knew it would be much more challenging for him than me, as I have had to do this a lot in my life and so I was used to it (in a sense), so I wanted to find some recipes that wouldn't shock him out of thinking he could handle this new lifestyle.

I've already lost 8 pounds in 5 days. So that is encouraging and helps me keep going.

One thing that is difficult for my husband, is breakfast. He has to drive an hour to work (that is if the roads are in perfect condition and there are no traffic issues, so lately its been more like 2 hours), and he is always in a big hurry. I have bought some low sugar oatmeal, but as men are, he is a bit picky in the sense that he doesn't want to eat the same thing all the time. So I needed to find something that he could substitute in, if he is in a hurry. He loves the breakfast casserole I make, but that is filled with hash browns which are off limits right now, so I wanted to figure out something that was similar, and that's when I remembered the crustless quiche that my parents had made years ago when we were following a low carb lifestyle. So I asked my husband what he would want in it, and went from there!

I made a spicy sausage, bacon, feta and monterey jack cheese crustless quiche. You can really substitute anything you want for the meat and cheese. Here is how I made it!

For this one you need:
  • Bob Evans spicy sausage (the kind in the roll) - cooked. You can use regular instead of spicy if you wish
  • 6 strips of cooked bacon (crumbled)
  • Feta Cheese (crumbled)
  • Shredded monterey jack cheese
  • 7 eggs
  • 1/3 cup of milk (you can use the low carb milk if you wish, or skim is fine too)
  • 9 inch pie plate
  • skillet
  • butter flavored cooking spray
  • Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. While your bacon is cooking in the microwave, cook and crumble the spicy sausage in your skillet. 
2. Spray your pie plate with the cooking spray, then crumble the cooked sausage, cooked bacon, feta and shredded cheese in the plate, in that order. (You can choose how much cheese to use depending on what you like.) I used a few small handfuls of the feta but wish I would have used more. I used about a handful and a half of the shredded cheese, but again, this can be altered to your taste. 
3. Beat the 7 eggs lightly with the whisk. Add in the milk and pepper to taste. I gave a couple turns of my pepper grinder. 
4. Pour the egg mixture into the pie plate, and place on the middle rack in the oven. Cook for 35 minutes, or until your knife comes out clean. 
~Enjoy! It is wonderful as leftovers! 










2 comments:

  1. This a great post. I have PCOS too, so I can relate! In my case the only way to lose weight is to cut down on carbs and it's soo hard since I love muffins, pasties and sugar lol. Will try your recipe!

    Anna xx
    Little Pretty Mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too exactly Anna Maria! I love muffins (just made a low carb one I will post soon), pizza - dear lord I love pizza, and the only way I can lose weight is basically no carbs. Its so tough!

      Delete