SqABQ2vaBiRwOmiKY86G4RLCZRM

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Low Carb Skillet Pizza



I recently tore a ligament in the heel of my foot, and with that injury, making food that fits a low carb lifestyle has been tough. I hobbled around to make the Crustless Quiche, but I needed something to calm down my cravings. My pizza cravings. It would have been easy for me to order pizza and be done with it. But one slice can have 36g of carbs! Thats more carbs than I should have in a day! But I LOVE pizza. Love it. I could eat it multiple times in a week and never get sick of it. Its my.... "thing". So I needed a pizza that I could eat, without the carbs, and make easily with this injury I have going on. Thats a lot to ask. But I saw a skillet pizza floating around Pinterest, and thought that I would try making a version of it, to see if it would suffice my cravings. And it MORE than did!

It is so easy to make. A great snack and great for a meal. So let's get started!


Here is what you need:
  • Extra small nonstick skillet ( 6-9 inches preferably)
  • Bagged* shredded cheese of your choice (I used the colby jack blend, but any blend should work)
  • Optional: Pizza sauce (lowest carb you can find)
  • Toppings: I used pepperoni and pizza seasonings, but we will use veggies when I make this for my hubby
*We tried this with shredding our own cheese, and it was a MESS. very oily and tough to eat. Stick with the bagged cheese. 

1. Put the shredded cheese directly onto the non stick skillet (measuring about 1/3 inch thick) 
2. Dribble pizza sauce on top of the cheese. You only need about a tablespoon. A little goes a LONG way.
3. Place some more cheese on top of sauce. It will now measure about 1/2 inch thick. 
4. Place toppings on top of cheese
5. Turn on high heat, and lightly cover with a top so that the top of the cheese will fully melt. Watch carefully. 6. After just a short time, you will see the bottom cheese start to bubble and crisp up. When all the cheese is melted, you can turn off the heat, and slide onto a plate. Cut with a pizza slicer. As shown below, the bottom should be crisp and brown, and should cut nicely with the pizza cutter.


The picture at the very top of this post is the first one I made. I think I used just enough sauce. The pictures with the white background shows the second one I made, and I feel I used just a little too much sauce, so like I said, a little sauce goes a LONG way. You can also make one without sauce. The pizza sauce I have has 5 carbs for 1/4 of a cup. You should only need about a tablespoon, so you aren't getting many carbs for the little you are using. 


I encourage you to give this a shot! Its so easy, why not?! Let me know what you think! 



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! Sorry to hear about your heel. It is definitely in the best interests of everyone that your foot get better and be up and running in no time. Hopefully you're in good hands, or if not, at least close to professional help.

    Milagros Max @ US Healthworks

    ReplyDelete